About The Role
This is a fully remote role with a US-based startup backed by TechStars NYC and Vitalize.VC
We’re looking for a Senior Copy Editor to help us build the future of lifelong engaging and integrated, error-free learning. Someone who would welcome the opportunity to drive curriculum and formatting standards, vision and execution in a leadership role in a scaling venture-backed startup.
The Senior Copy Editor will focus on the consumer learning and engagement experience. They will focus on course quality, ensuring we take an editorial approach to curriculum writing and development. This person will help develop our curriculum standards, continually looking for ways to scale the editing process while ensuring no errors make it past you to our partners or members. You will drive the editing process for all curriculum and create learning and development tracks for our curriculum team to ensure the most recent curriculum and formatting standards are upheld.
This person will be the final checkpoint before any curriculum is shared with an external partner or our customers. Grammar, spelling, syntax, and word choice, these are your favorite tools and you cannot wait to use your sharp eye to identify where we can level up. The Senior Copy Editor will coach designers to elevate their curriculum development skills 1:1, when needed.
“Imagine a world where the wisdom in books is translated into a shared daily practice capable of transforming how we approach ourselves and one another.”
We’re building towards this vision by delivering evidence-based wisdom into everyday life.
We have created a personal growth ecosystem that turns books into structured learning experiences by offering bite-size, multi-day courses. Our platform connects people interested in developing personal and professional skills with successful authors and subject matter experts.
We’ve been on a growth trajectory for the past 2 years and currently backed by the likes of TechStars NYC and Vitalize.VC
hiitide is most decidedly an equal opportunity employer. We want applicants of diverse backgrounds and hire without regard to race, color, gender, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, age, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Senior Copy Editor
- Serve as the primary copy editor for all online book clubs and companion courses.
- Create and help maintain the editorial system for online book clubs.
- As we grow our marketplace, it will be imperative that you are constantly scaling the editing process with tools, resources and potential hiring
- Create a system that allows you to ensure no book club mistakes or errors make it past you before publication or even sharing with the partner, as well as scale this system as we grow our supply.
- Determine the publishing guidelines.
- Review written content for spelling and grammatical errors. Provide suggestions for edits where needed. Write to fill in the gaps where needed. You have final say and have the autonomy to make the changes on the spot if need be.
- Consistently provide clear and concise feedback to the Designer whose work you are editing in a timely manner.
- Provide the final stamp of approval on the work you edit for publication.
- Maintain and hold the uniform standard for all lesson formatting and design requirements within each curriculum.
- Maintain a clear understanding of our training resource library. Stay up-to-date on recent curriculum design standards. Be trained on-going in our quality standards so you can effectively hold all written content to the highest, current standard. AND provide the designers with clear, actionable, encouraging and honest feedback.
- Develop and present training to the Curriculum Design Team on strategies to improve curriculum quality.
- Assist with hiring and training our growing editorial team.
- As requested, assist in editing other important hiitide documents/communications such as our Operating Principles, social media posts, blogs, emails, etc.
- Attend check in meetings to offer feedback and suggestions to the Designer.
- As requested, audit current book club curriculum to ensure all relaunches are to recent hiitide standards.
- If the need arises and as requested, develop curriculum.
- Depending on the candidate’s background/skills, the Sr. Copy Editor will assist in marketing copywriting and curriculum guides.
- Professional: 2-3 years of copy editorial, teaching or content development experience
- Academic: Minimum requirement- Bachelor’s Degree
- Familiarity with scaling systems using automated tools and processes
- Ability to read quickly and project manage
- Experience creating and delivering engaging presentations, preferably in higher education
- Editorial Skills: spelling errors, nothing gets by you. Strong command of language and writing. Ability to confidently maintain the audience, voice, and scoop for every course published.
- Interpersonal Skills: Interact with the members of the team of whose work you are editing. Provide feedback in a way that is clear, honest, and concise. Create a space where creativity is safe to be expressed and celebrated.
- Pedagogical Mindset: You continue to raise our standards of curriculum design. Outstanding creativity and a positive can-do attitude.
- Reliability: delivering on timelines and expectations consistently.
- Communication: a bias to communicate proactively, and lean in to tough conversations with concise and honest communication.
- Strong Organization and Time Management Skills: prioritizing multiple tasks effectively and in a timely manner. Willing to work with tight deadlines and under pressure when needed.
- Discernment: once you have a firm understanding of our standards, you can adjust lessons without having to ask for permission. You are a quick and effective decision maker. You are the final line to publication. No curriculum will be published without your stamp of approval.
- Compensation: Hourly Pay
- Hour Requirement: 25-35 hours a week
- hiitide Learning Period
- This is a 3-month period (from start date) which is held as a time for both you and hiitide to identify if this is a long-term fit for both parties.
- Weekly 1:1s with your manager
- Attend weekly team meetings
- What you need: Fast internet, a reliable laptop that can run high profile programs
- Time requirement: available M-F 9am-5pm, with the ability to help out for a few hours on a weekend/after hours as needed. Hours are generally flexible and can be adapted to a schedule that best supports you
- Location: Remote, work from anywhere in the world.
- hiitide’s HQ is located in River North, Chicago, IL
Be part of the founding team
- Help shape the vision with leadership opportunities
- Report to and in Partnership with the Course Project Manager and Head of Product
- Work from anywhere
- Generous PTO
- Free access to any of our courses or bookclubs to you and your significant other
Submit Your Application
U.S. EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY INFORMATION
(Completion is voluntary and will not subject you to adverse treatment)
Our company values diversity. To ensure that we comply with reporting requirements and to learn more about how we can increase diversity in our candidate pool, we invite you to voluntarily provide demographic information in a confidential survey at the end of this application. Providing this information is optional. It will not be accessible or used in the hiring process, and has no effect on your opportunity for employment.